Articles » Selling
a Custom Home
For a sizable share of the home buying marketing, building a custom
home is the first choice. Buyers who have owned several homes or
whose standards of living has jumped during these strong economic
times want the creativity and individuality that only a custom home
can provide. Many Realtors, however, are uncomfortable selling custom
homes because the basic process is somewhat different than the re-sales
market. Here are five tips to smooth the selling process
- Establish a relationship with a reputable custom builder.
Most builders welcome the opportunity to expand their name recognition
within the realtor community and would be happy to meet with you
and/or your client.
- Direct your client twoard builders who have a model or completed
homes they can show. Tangible examples of the builder's work are
the best indication of their commitment to quality construction.
- Focus as much on the builders' customer relations and building
process as on their homes. A bad builder experience will sour the
positive feelings about the house.
- Set the ground rules with the builder. How involved do you
want to be in the design and construction process. What is your
commission? When will it be paid?
- Discourage a bidding mentality in your buyer. Your buyers
will get what they pay for. Instead, promote the value of a negotiated
contract with a reputable builder.